Two weeks ago, I wrote about my son’s love for building Lego sets. My daughter is just now getting interested in the Friends Lego sets. One day in July, Jase said he wanted a Lego table. If you look online at Amazon, they can range from $60 to over $200. And the problem with these tables is they take up a lot of room in my kids’ already toy-filled rooms.
So my husband suggested we build one ourselves. A quick look on Pintrest led me to this website with an easy to make, collapsible Lego table.
It seemed perfect for our needs. The kids would have a Lego table, and it could easily be stored when not in use. We ended up making two of them – one for each kid. We figured that would stop any arguing. Lexie’s is stored under her bed and Jase’s stored in his closet when they aren’t in our living room being played with.
The Joys of Boys blog does a good job of describing the building of this table, but I thought I would let you know a couple of things we experienced and changed.
First off, we bought the 34″ Lifetime folding table that she mentions at Wal-Mart for $34 each. The link provided in the blog goes to Amazon which shows the same table for $70 each. She also mentions buying a Lego 4 building plate set from Amazon for her table. Since we didn’t particularly like the grey boards, and because it was cheaper, we bought 10″ x 10″ Lego Building Plates in both blue and green. To do 2 tables, we needed 18 of these plates (15 green and 3 blue) for a total of about $90. Total cost for the two tables was about $160.
We started building the tables as a surprise for the kids so that meant doing it after they went to bed. It took us about an hour to unwrap all the Lego plates, cut them, and then use the Liquid Nails to affix them to the table.
To ensure the plates would be in the proper place, we did mark the table with a Sharpie slightly under where they would go. We then applied the Liquid Nails to the table and put the plates on, securing them with Lego pieces to make sure they were properly positioned.
Later, we decided that it might have been better to put the Liquid Nails on the actual plates instead of the table because some of our corners were not affixed to the table. To remedy this problem with the corners, we used a toothpick and placed some Gorilla Glue under the corners.
The next morning the kids were surprised and happy to have their new Lego tables. We made them slightly different – putting the water as a river on Jase’s and at the end on Lexie’s, so we could tell them apart. The kids have had a blast with them and while so far they have mainly stayed built and ready to use, I love the fact that they can be easily folded up and stored out of sight when needed.